Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that is formed both naturally and artificially.  It is a highly toxic mix of one carbon atom and one oxygen atom.  When breathed in, it combines with the body’s hemoglobin to prevent the passage of oxygen through the bloodstream throughout the body.  It causes seizures, coma and even death.  Carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of air poison related deaths in the world.

How can I stay safe? Carbon Monoxide Detector

Since it is undetectable by the human eye, it is hard to determine whether or not you have a carbon monoxide problem in your home.  Taking a chance and assuming you do NOT have a carbon monoxide problem could prove to be a deadly gamble.

Instead of taking a chance, install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.  A carbon monoxide detector does not cost very much (about $20), but the benefit is tremendous.  Plus, having them in your home could save you on your homeowner’s insurance.  With that savings, the detectors will basically pay for themselves.  Detectors are very easily installed by simply plugging them in a wall outlet.  Of course there are more complicated and expensive detectors available that have more bells and whistles.  What type you purchase is up to you.

Once you have your  detector in place, give us a call to inform your insurance carrier.  You could receive a significant deduction on your premium.  If purchasing a detector has been on your list of things to do for a while now, what are you waiting for?  Your family’s health is worth the few minutes it takes for you to go get that detector!  If your detector spots carbon monoxide in your air, get out of the house and immediately call 911.  Do not stay in the house and wait for it to air out.  Get out and stay safe!

, , ,